Lately, many video files with file extension .mkv began to circulate in the net. This format is becoming popular in download sites because of their very small size compared to other formats like .avi or .mpeg or .wmv and despite its small size the quality of videos in this format is very good, almost as good a the original .avi. MKV or Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard free Container format, a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks inside a single file.
To watch on PC with softcoded subtitle: VLC media player(freeware)
To burn MKV to DVD with softcoded subtitle : ConvertXtoDVD
Tips to watch subtitle .SUB and .IDX format :
VLC Media Player:
1. Keep all the files (.mkv, .avi, .sub & .idx) in the same folder
2. Play normally with VLC media player , go to VIDEO on top of VLC and choose SUBTITLE TRACK at the dropdown menu and select the appropriate subtitle .
1. “Add” the .AVI file from the movie folder into the ConvertXtoDVD (the .IDX and .SUB file extensions should follow automatically providing all of them have the same exact file name). For non techie : FILE-NAME.FILE-EXTENSION
2. “Convert” and “Burn” normally
3. Use the button on your DVD or the remote control to select the appropriate subtitle for your viewing.